Conference Case Study
Mabey Hire is part of the Mabey group – a leading international engineering services specialist developing bridges, buildings, roads, railways and utilities. We were fortunate enough to be referred to the CEO of Mabey Group through a past client we’d had great success with. After a first successful Conference with Mabey Group, we were introduced to the CEO of Mabey Hire who asked us to design and deliver their annual Conference.
The main overarching Conference objective for Mabey Hire was to increase collaboration across divisions. Secondly, Mabey Hire were keen to try something different to what they had done in the past for their annual get together.
We challenged Mabey to think differently and looked to create greater clarity around the organisational goal. Working with the Mabey Hire team we designed a Conference around one of our key Performance Principles; ‘Working Together Effectively’. Components of how we built this solution are as follows:
- Will It Make The Boat Go Faster? facilitated a Conference focused on organisational clarity, always relating back to Mabey Hire’s goal.
- Using Ben’s story as the backdrop to the entire conference gave credibility to the journey ahead.
- Exercises designed to strengthen relationships between colleagues from different departments like engineering, sales and contracting.
- Will It Make The Boat Go Faster? adapted to the challenges that were brought to light during the conference, this led to a new focus on taking the business to the next level.
- Harnessing the talent in the room and clarity on what it is everyone needs to do, collectively and individually to make the boat go faster.
The impact that the Will It Make The Boat Go Faster? led conference had on Mabey Hire has been huge, including;
- The team thought they were simply getting two days on team collaboration and effectiveness – but as a result of the conference they have restructured their business and are operating completely differently to before.
- Adapting the Will It Make The Boat Go Faster? language to their business to help facilitate difficult discussions.
- Using stories from the conference to help keep organisational motivation.
- Mabey Hire no longer accept mediocre or poor performance, instead they talk about it openly, seek the reasons why, and then set about improving.
This is quite a different approach from what I’ve seen elsewhere. The Will It Make The Boat Go Faster? team were extremely professional throughout the conference, engaging, non-threatening- but challenging and occasionally quite funny.